Mold is a problem that all too many homeowners find themselves struggling with. If left untreated, mold can have a damaging effect on those living inside. Some symptoms of mold growth include:
- Breathing problems, such as asthma, allergies, or other respiratory issues.
- Skin and eye irritation, including rashes, hives, and watery eyes.
- Lung distress, including bronchitis or even fatal reactions.
Many of these problems are not caught until the mold has grown and progressed a great deal. That’s why it’s so important to remedy a moldy basement as soon as it is noticed. There are many recommendations for homeowners who are struggling with mold growth.
- Complete renovation
- Mold is a tricky substance to completely remove. That’s because it is capable of growing and living in very small places. Mold is commonly found in crevices in the walls, often undetectable by the human eye.
- Many times the only way to completely remove mold is through a complete renovation. Tearing down walls and replacing them with clean, dry sheetrock is recommended. Flooring should also be replaced to prevent mold from coming back.
- Water drainage solutions
- The main cause of a moldy basement is a damp environment. The underground location of your basement makes it the perfect breeding ground for mold. Removing all water leaks from the space is the only way to stop this.
- Water from the outside often finds its way into your basement. Adding new drainage solutions, such as pumps, better grading, or a French drain, will help reduce the possibility of water getting inside your basement.
- Better insulation
- Anywhere water can get inside increases your risk of mold. Check the waterproofing of your basement. Filling in cracks with sealants or insulating walls with water resistant materials will prevent mold from growing. There are even mold-resistant paints available that lessen your risk.
Any of these tips can be beneficial to your home, even if you are yet to deal with a mold problem. Since it’s estimated that over two-thirds of homes have some degree of mold, it’s never too early to start reducing your risk. Be sure to have your home evaluated before beginning any DIY project.
If you already know you have a moldy basement, you must hire an experienced professional to remedy the problem for you. Mold doesn’t go away without a fight, and only those technicians with proper training and expertise know exactly what it takes to make your home a mold-free zone.