Symptoms of Toxic Black Mold Poisoning

Toxic Black Mold

Mold is typically associated with ugly green and black patches on walls and other parts of the home. Toxic black mold (Stachybotryschartarum) is known to be particularly hazardous. It is known to trigger a wide variety of symptoms when people are exposed to its spores. Once the spores are ingested or inhaled, they can cause different health issues.

If you or a member of your household is exposed to this mold, it is important to ensure that your home is inspected and the mold removed as soon as possible. The following are some symptoms of exposure to toxic black mold:

  1. Tiredness and discomfort

Spores of the mold when inhaled or ingested can trigger the body’s immune system to release Chloral Hydrate. This is a natural sedative that the body releases as part of its efforts to counter the effects of the fungi. This chemical however, causes the affected person to feel dizzy, weak and tired.

A person exposed to this mold will typically show signs of headaches, fatigue, chest pain, nausea, diarrhea and fever. At this point, simply ensuring that the mold is removed from the house will help to alleviate these symptoms.

  1. Development of or worsening of allergies

Toxic black mold, just like other molds can result in allergic reactions. This is because the body responds to foreign particles through allergic reactions. Long term exposure to the mold spores however will worsen the effects by weakening the immune system.

Exposure to this mold can result in itchy eyes, runny nose, watery eyes, skin irritation and rashes, shortness of breath as well as sore throat. Cleaning carpets and ensuring that mold is removed will reduce allergic reactions.

  1. Development of respiratory problems

Continued exposure to black mold spores for an extended period can result in the development of respiratory problems. The spores are known to produce tricothecenemycotoxins. These are known to be very resilient and volatile. They can cause irritation and a burning sensation in the air passages including the nasal cavity, mouth and throat when spores are inhaled.

People exposed to black mold develop asthma, chronic coughing, breathing difficulties, sore throat, stuffy or runny noses and wheezing. Continued exposure can result in damage to the sinuses and lungs and cause internal bleeding.

  1. Neurological effects

Continued exposure to the mold can result in the mold’s mycotoxins killing neurons in the brain. This affects the exposed person’s mental abilities. They may experience mood swings, confusion, brain fog, anxiety, depression and even seizures.

Contact us today for more information!