The Do-it-yourself culture is taking every industry by storm. Many people like to try and do things on their own and avoid the cost of hiring a professional. However, not all jobs can be done without the proper training and experience. Mold testing and remediation is one such job.
There are many homeowners who turn to over-the-counter home mold test kits when they suspect that they may have a mold infestation. These kits are sold in home improvement stores and are meant to be a substitute for mold inspection and professional mold testing. However, you can’t rely on these kits for many reasons.
- The results obtained from testing mold samples can be misleading or in many cases, wrong. This is a result of error. However, a professional with years of experience and training can interpret the results and tell you what action to take.
- Visual inspections are a vital part of mold inspections. The visual inspection helps the professional contractor spot issues that may not be so apparent to the untrained eye. You won’t get the benefit of such an inspection with an over-the-counter kit.
- In many instances, mold problems aren’t visible. However, a homeowner may suspect that they have a mold problem because of the odor. Testing kits won’t help you determine where the problem is in such cases.
- Mold spores are everywhere. Every home has them floating around in the air. The fact that the petri dish of your home testing kit captured some spores doesn’t mean that your home has a full blown infestation. This method of testing only shows that you have mold spores in your home.
- There are sampling protocols that are specific for mold sampling. Following these protocols ensures accuracy of results. These protocols are based on recommendations by the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH), the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) and other organizations. These protocols are not followed when sampling using home kits.
If you need mold testing, be sure to hire a professional to carry it out for you. Don’t waste your time and money on a home testing kit that won’t give you useful information. Only a professional can truly help you to identify a mold infestation and advise you on what to do about it. Ensure accuracy by getting in touch with a professional mold inspector.