Basement Waterproofing and Foundation Repair Services
Everdry Grand Rapids is proud to be the premier basement waterproofing and foundation repair company in Grand Rapids, MI. Our services are permanent which is why we offer a Lifetime guarantee on most of our services. Everdry Grand Rapids is an expert basement waterproofing company that can help you with basement leaks and flooding with our waterproofing services. We are happy to say we’ve helped many families repair their foundations and basements so they can enjoy their homes for a long time to come. Give us a call today so we can start helping you!
The first recorded European visitor was Father Henri Nouvel in 1675, a Jesuit Priest from St. Ignace. From 1675 to 1819, the original residents of the Saginaw area consisted of the Sauk and Chippewa Indian tribes, as well as European fur trappers and traders. in 1819, a permanent settlement was established, and families began to arrive in Saginaw. 1819 also saw the treaty of Saginaw signed. It was three years later, in 1822, that Fort Saginaw was established, only to be abandoned the next year by the military. The Commander stated “Nothing but Indians, muskrats, and bull frogs could possibly subsist here.” Yet only one year later in 1824 Saginaw territory was organized and then attached to Oakland County for judicial purposes. Saginaw Township (including the entire county and adjacent land) was organized in 1830. A January 28, 1835 act organized Saginaw County (which then included Bay County) as an official county. 1837 saw the first School district organized. It was located on Court St., near the courthouse, which itself was built in 1839. The plot on which the courthouse sits was permanently donated for public use only.
In 1845, German Lutherans from Franconia, of the Kingdom of Bavaria, come to settle. One of the missions becomes Frankenmuth. Only two years later, the first shipment of Saginaw Pine is sent to New York, which triggers demand out East for the high-quality timber. In 1850 Norman Little built a plank road from Flint to Saginaw. East Saginaw expands more rapidly than Saginaw City, which is on the West. At this point, there was still no bridge for easy river crossing. The Saginaw County population in 1850 was 2,609. 34 years later, after the timber boom, the 1884 census recorded a whopping 75,813. during that time, East Saginaw (not yet part of Saginaw as it is known today) had grown to incorporate other small villages in the area. These small villages included: Salina; once at Center Avenue and S. Washington, South Saginaw; separated from East Saginaw by Hoyt Park and Webber Avenue, and The Village of Florence; South of Genesee Avenue, on the west side of the river.
By 1863 Saginaw had its first high school, Central School, located on Court Street. The next year brought the first bridge across Saginaw River, Genesee Bridge (toll bridge). In 1869 actress Marie Dressler was born in Saginaw. 1882 was the peak year of Lumber Era: 1,001,274,905 board feet of timber cut in mills along the Saginaw River. But in three years time, there was a strike among workers in sawmills, demanding a 10-hour workday, organized by the Knights of Labor. Eventually, the National Guard was called out to maintain peace. The strike dwindled away, with mill owners gaining control over workers. Salt production flourished during lumber boom. Waste from the sawmills was used to make salt from brine water. This was no longer profitable after the lumber industry declined. In 1894 Riverside Park opens on Green Point. Merry-go-rounds, roller coasters, balloon ascensions, pavilion dancing, all served by Union St. Railway. None of which remains now. ‘After the Ball’ a famous 1890’s Waltz was written by a bellhop in the Bancroft Hotel.
WHERE TO FIND US:
Wyoming, MI 49548
Phone: (616) 541-9844